Good Bye FC5

Russell Golden dragonite.wylie at verizon.net
Tue May 16 01:59:12 UTC 2006

Brian Mury wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 20:55 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>>    Here is what happened. I got gmfsk to compile and load and it came
>>up working just fine except for the same dam error message whan you try
>>to go to transmit:
>>
>>sound_open_for _write: opensnd: /dev/dsp Device or resource busy.
>>
>>I was never able to clear this error message so of course it doesn't work.
>>

>This is not a gmfsk problem. This simply means that some other program
>has the soundcard locked, and gmfsk is unable to access it. You need to
>find out what program is using the soundcard. For example, I have to
>shut down Skype before I can run gmfsk.

Wait a sec. I'm not as into hardware/OS interaction as much as I'd like
to be, but are you saying that Linux can't duplex sound? Or am I
interpreting this wrong? On Winblows (yes, sadly, I use it), multiple
programs can use my laptop's sound card at once, but on Shrike I can't
listen to music and have sounds for Gaim or anything else at the same
time. Weirdly enough, that includes terminal console beeps. Is this just
my way outdated Red Hat Linux 9, or is this Linux in general?

Russell Golden