A Very happy Camper on FC4

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue May 16 07:56:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 16:03 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

> >>     Well the yum update seemed to have a whole lot of items for FC4,
> >> like 500 and one upgraded Open Office to version 2.0. It is likely that
> >> some new thing like a modified Firefox comes over the Internet from
> >> Firefox direct. And it's no problem at all.
> >>

> > First, you are picking up all the updates from the FC4 release
> > and second FC4 hasn't been moved to legacy yet. But note that
> > if you add any additional software or newer versions from
> > other sources yourself you have to keep it updated yourself
> > and if any of those RPMs conflict with core versions you
> > may break the ability to update at all.
> >

> >>     And my idea of old is sure a longer period than the one used by
> >> Fedora. I will keep FC4 for several years. There is no reason not to
> >> since it's doing what I want just fine after initial bugs were yummed out.
> >>

> > It's almost certain that more bugs will be found, including
> > security-related ones.  Being able to stay up to date with
> > fixes is important especially if you are internet-exposed.
> >

>     Of course I'm Internet exposed but through a DSL modem with a very
> capable  hardware firewall. I have never been hacked.

How do you know?

A decent firewall protects you from some classes of attack, but not all.
For instance, there might be an exploit that could get your browser to
run arbitrary code if you visit a malicious website. A firewall isn't
going to protect you against that.

This is why security consultants tell you to have "layers" of security
and why it's good sense to keep your system up to date with security
fixes.

Paul.