skype problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue May 16 21:55:49 UTC 2006

Lauri wrote:
>>> Did you start Skype using the hijacker? It should report detecting the
>>> bug and closing the session.
>>
>> I've tried both ways.  Renameing the hangup.wav got rid of that
>> problem so skype can now be run multiple times pre reboot.
>> skype_dsp_hijacker, if it works at all (only one audio device although
>> I can snooker kmix into showing me 2 they are shared controls always)
>>
>>> /etc/asound.conf is the global file. There was also a file for normal
>>> user, I can't remember it's name. ALSA's config file.
>>
>> But this stuff can be put into /etc/asound.conf as well I assume, so
>> I'll give that a try.
>>
>> I might add that this same stuttering and endless echo of small
>> fractions of an incoming word, completely drowning out the normal
>> incoming sound, also plagues ekiga/gnomemeeting.
>>
>> I am using a stereo headset with a boom mic, and I'm reported to sound
>> great on the other end with skype, but while I sound great in my own
>> ears, I am all chopped up on the other end when running ekiga.
>>
>> When running skype at home, I was able to arrive at mixer settings
>> using kamix that resulted in my not hearing myself, but I transmitted
>> just fine.  If I could hear myself then we had echo's, which is what I
>> think is killing me now, but with this laptops ATI IXP ac97 lashup, a
>> setting that stops me from hearing myself, also stops the
>> transmission.  There seems to be no way to isolate it into a true 4
>> wire circuit where what I say goes out only, and the incoming pcm is
>> to my earphones only.
>>
>> If there is a specific stanza I can add to /etc/asound.conf that would
>> accomplish that, please tell which one in that "ALSA Project - the C
>> library reference: PCM (digital audio) plugins" from
>> <http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm_plugins.html>
>> will accomplish this.  Its only about 10 pages of very very small type
>> :-(
>>
>> I think I know what I need to do, but do not understand alsa well
>> enough to recognize what it is I need to setup to accomplish this 4
>> wire setup, or even if its possible to do this on this laptop.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> I have a script for starting Skype. It kills started Skype processes and
> starts a new one using skype_dsp_hijacker, using the 2nd soundcard.
> To remove choppyness, I use the dmix'ing code and try to keep capture as
> low as possible (Skype needs it, otherwise your voice won't reach other
> person). Everything works fine with echo123, but not when talking to
> other people.
>
> This works fine for me, on both, FC4 and FC5.
>
> Lauri

I finally found it!  I had a duh moment...  Brain fart, alzheimers,
senior citizen symptom, whatever...

In kmix, in addition to the bottom red led being on, I had the top green
one on, and thats apparently a no-no.  Now I can't hear myself and that
appears to have been the 'magic twanger'.  Its working great, including
skypeout, I just talked to the missus for a few minutes on it.

Thanks to all those that tried to help.

--
Cheers, Gene