Question on setup of xorg.conf for laptop

sklein at cpcug.org sklein at cpcug.org
Tue May 16 22:18:55 UTC 2006

My laptop has a Synaptics touchpad and also has a plug for an external
mouse.  I boot into run level 3.  The touchpad works when I boot.  Once
I've booted and started X, I can plug in the mouse and both it and the
touchpad can control the pointer.  However, if I boot with the mouse
plugged in, X crashes when I try to start it.  How can I boot with the
mouse plugged in and have the mouse and touchpad both work?

I've attached the relevant part of my xorg.conf file below.

Stan Klein

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Synaptics"
    Driver         "synaptics"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    Option         "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse1"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "PS2"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    Option         "AlwaysCore" "true"
EndSection