How to enable Java Runtime Environment (JRE)

Paul Dwerryhouse paul at dwerryhouse.com.au
Wed May 17 02:42:35 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:14:08AM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> I have "jre-1_5_0_06-linux-amd64.bin" installed on;
> Pleasse advicd how to enable it.  TIA

You're probably better off using the jpackage.org packages to build
yourself an RPM of java; it will fit in with your system better.

I wrote an article on this a couple of months ago; it was intended for
use with Redhat Enterprise, but it will likely work with FC5, too. It
can be found here:

http://nepotismia.com/redhat/java/

One further thing; IIRC, the AMD64 java package doesn't provide a
mozilla plugin. You may have to use a 32-bit version instead (I'm not
sure how FC5/x86-64 handles 32-bit binaries, so I can't really help
there).

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584