LD_LIBRARY_PATH ; to set or not to set....

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed May 17 14:23:19 UTC 2006

James Pifer wrote:
> I'm wrote a small java app that I will run in a jsp. The vendor supplied
> jars also come with shared libraries that are required. Their
> documentation says to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the directory where you put
> the libraries.
>
> This works fine when running the app from a terminal environment after
> setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The problem is that when I run the jsp it's run
> from an application that runs as a service, so LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not
> set in that environment.
>
> In searching on this issue I found MANY people saying it's bad to set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> I've tried running ldconfig -n and the directory but it hasn't seemed to
> work.
>
> So what is the proper way to do this? I want to set these libraries and
> have them set after a system restart, etc.

As root, edit a file with a name that makes sense in /etc/ld.so.conf.d
on the order of app-name.conf.  In that file place the pathname to the
libraries of the application.   (Take a look at existing files).

Then run ldconfig.

Ed

--
Once, I read that a man be never stronger than when he truly realizes how
weak he is.