what is smartd? It fails on bootup.

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Thu May 18 08:47:46 UTC 2006

At 07:31 18/05/2006, you wrote:

>Can anyone tell me what smartd does or why the startup error? Can I
>remove the check in the services?  It's description reads "dead but
>subsys locked".
>thanks,
>Dennis, new linux user

I'm running with Intel motherboards and Seagate SATA hard drives.
smartd starts OK on the two systems I've built with these parts that run FC5.

Note that I believe it's only recently been fixed to operate with
SATA drives. I don't know any more about it but if you give some
information about your hardware then somebody else might be able to
give more advice.

DF