How do I get a shutdown/restart dialogue option under the system menu at run level 3 in FC5?

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Thu May 18 11:52:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 02:57 -0400, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com>
wrote:

> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 12:05:47 +0800
> From: Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com>
> Subject: Re: How do I get a shutdown/restart dialogue option under the
> 	system menu at run level 3 in FC5?
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> Stanley A. Klein wrote:
>
> I put a more meaningful subject back in...
>
> > Gracefully is what the -h option of poweroff appears to do.  It shuts
> > down the drive before shutting down all power.  Right now, a shutdown
> > kills all power, and I can hear the drive spin down after the power goes
> > off.  On my dual-boot laptop, until FC5, I had to reboot into Windows to
> > get a graceful shutdown.
> >
> > Now the question is how to edit the menu to get the dialogue when I do a
> > non-graphical (run level 3) boot and bring up X by entering startx,
> > versus doing a run level 5 boot directly into X.  It turns out the menus
> > you get are different and I need to fix it.
>
> Why not just create application icon on your desktop and be done with it?
>
> > I needed to set up the non-graphical boot because my laptop has an
> > Nvidia display and they recommend changing the boot to run level 3.
>
> Who are they?  I've not heard of that recommendation before....

Nvidia makes display cards that manufacturers put into machines.  There
is an x.org driver for Nvidia, but it rarely works right.  To make an
Nvidia display work properly, you have to go to their site, download
their driver installer, go root, and run the installer (which will
possibly compile and install the kernel module that runs their display).
This is best done from run level 3.  If you do a general yum update and
yum installs a new kernel, you have to either rerun the driver installer
for the new kernel or edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to make the old kernel
the default.  I don't know what happens when the screen driver crashes
during a graphical (run level 5) boot, but I'd rather not experience
it.

Stan Klein