Q re networking, might need guru

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Thu May 18 11:56:57 UTC 2006

On 18/05/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> Unforch, that  didn't want to actually display anything but a packet
> list, and now I cannot go back to etherape, installing ethereal-gnome
> screwed something up, and not even a new make install of etherape after
> removing ethereal-gnome brings it back.
>
> The error reported when I try to run etherape now is:
> [root at diablo etherape-0.9.6]# etherape
>
> (EtherApe:20159): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: IA__g_object_set_property:
> object class `GtkFrame' has no property named `orientation'
>
> and its hung till I ctl-c it.  And it was running quite nicely when I
> stopped it to give ethereal a try.  How can I fix this?

It sounds like you had previously installed etherape by building from
source and installing (i.e. outside of rpm), and that installing the
ethereal-gnome package wrote over a library file when installing
dependencies, such that when you removed ethereal-gnome that library
file was different. This is the peril of installing unpackaged
software outside of /usr/local. But, then I'm not sure why rebuilding
and reinstalling etherrape wouldn't fix the problem (although it'll
clobber your rpm database). Not very helpful, I'm afraid.