How do I get a shutdown/restart dialogue option under the system menu at run level 3 in FC5?

Rikke D. Giles rgiles at centurytel.net
Thu May 18 12:09:17 UTC 2006

On 05/18/2006 04:52:14 AM, Stanley A. Klein wrote:

> Nvidia makes display cards that manufacturers put into machines.  There
> is an x.org driver for Nvidia, but it rarely works right.  To make an
> Nvidia display work properly, you have to go to their site, download
> their driver installer, go root, and run the installer (which will
> possibly compile and install the kernel module that runs their display).
> This is best done from run level 3.  If you do a general yum update and
> yum installs a new kernel, you have to either rerun the driver installer
> for the new kernel or edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to make the old kernel
> the default.  I don't know what happens when the screen driver crashes
> during a graphical (run level 5) boot, but I'd rather not experience
> it.

I used to do this too, and in fact booted in run level 3 up recently.  I have nVidia cards on all my machines.  However, with FC5 and FC4 I haven't needed run level 5.  The xorg driver for nVidia is good enough, and then I just use yum to install the kmod-nvidia or kernel-module (for FC4).  No need to dl drivers from nVidia and do all that stuff, anymore.

If you are booting into run level 5 and the graphics driver crashes, just switch to another console (ctrl-alt-f2 for example) and kill X, then go about downloading the proper drivers and so on, or specifying run level 3 in the proper places.  However, I got tired of doing this with earlier versions of Fedora and Redhat and so I did boot in runlevel 3 for many years, and started X by xstart.

As to your original question, I never found out that answer.  It always annoyed me too, that they turned off the shutdown selection in gnome in run level 3. I made myself a launcher and used that.  I suppose I could have messed with the menus, but didn't feel like it at the time.

Cheers,
Rikke