Extremely poor performance crunching random numbers under PIV-FC5

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 18 14:21:57 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm no expert, but I think there are different random number
implementations around. For instance, one "truly" random one basis its
numbers on events such as network traffic or "user inputs". This is
truly random, but does require some time to gain the "entropy" needed to
create a random number.

I don't know why, but maybe the -static option somehow changes the
underlying random number generator used ?

A couple things you could try -

I see you use the time to initialize the random generator - Maybe you
could try hard coding this, so you get the same set of random numbers
each run - Then, see if you get different numbers with the dynamic and
static versions.

If you run "top" whilst running the apps, is the cpu usage 100% each
time ? If with the dynamic it is much less, it would  suggest the time
is not lost in the cpu but elsewhere (like waiting for random
network/user events ?).

cheers Chris