Q re networking, might need guru

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu May 18 15:53:35 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> You have something even worse wrong.  I see ethereal in the internet
>>> menu in a KDE session and it also works fine started
>>> from the command line in a Konsole window.  There is nothing about
>>> kde that breaks gtk/gnome apps.
>>
>> I did not see befor or after installing etherape, and etherape was the
>> first tarball I'd built.  Everything else except skype is an rpm.  And
>> I built it to get a network monitor of SOME kind. There is not, and
>> never has been, an ethereal available in any kde menu.  What tree did
>> yours show up in?  I'm looking in the yumex info for the installed
>> ethereal, and the info there does not show an executable binary as
>> being part of that package:
>> /etc/pam.d/ethereal
>> /etc/security/console.apps/ethereal
>> /usr/lib/ethereal
>> /usr/lib/ethereal/plugins
>> /usr/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0
>> /usr/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0/acn.so
>> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/agentx.so
>> /usr/sbin/artnet.so
>> /usr/share/doc/asn1.so
>> /usr/share/doc/ethereal-0.99.0/ciscosm.so
>> /usr/share/doc/ethereal-0.99.0/doc/coseventcomm.so
>> /usr/share/cosnaming.so
>> /usr/share/ethereal/docsis.so
>> /usr/share/ethereal/diameter/enttec.so
>> /usr/share/ethereal/dtds/gryphon.so
>> /usr/share/ethereal/help/h223.so
>> /usr/share/ethereal/radius/irda.so
>> /usr/share/man/man1/lwres.so
>> /usr/share/man/man4/mate.so
>>
>> I do not see an excutable binary in that list, hence my comment about
>> the packaging of it.  Does yours show one?
>
> The FC5 ethereal package has some binaries in /usr/sbin
>
> The menu will probably show up if you install the separate
> ethereal-gnome package.
>
> Paul.

Well, I installed it, it didn't work AFAICS, and I took it out.  But
here's one for you!  I can't get etherape to run from the cli, so I just
rebooted twice the second time because the kernel modules I need haven't
been done for 2118 yet, ndiswrapper and ntfs.

Anyway, after wandering around in the menu's looking for ethereal, I
found etherape, and damned if it doesn't run just fine from the kmenu.
So now I have a network monitor again & camping out is happy again
except for the wood ticks here in the UP.

--
Cheers, Gene