Replacing Motherboards...

Rodolfo Alcazar rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo
Thu May 18 18:55:53 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 14:35 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 11:24 -0700, bruce wrote:
>
> > We've got a few older 800/900MHz Compaq DL360 1U servers, and we're looking
> > at replacing/upgrading the motherboard/mem with something along the lines of
> > the 1.8/2.6GHz boards.. Has anyone any experience doing this.. Any pointers,
> > etc...
>
> If you mean pulling the motherboard and replacing it while leaving the
> harddrive, yes.  The caveat is that you will need to keep the same
> processor type or you will need to install the kernel for the processor
> you are moving to.  In general if you stay in the same family this
> should be very painless.
>
> I swapped harddrives in a couple of systems and was very surprised that
> the system recognized the changed hardware, USB chip set, network chip
> set, etc. and came up on the new motherboard just fine.
>
> As always make backups first just in case.

Right. Once I did this and had no problem. Verify the
master/slave/IDE0/IDE1 same order on your disks in your new setup
(swapping disks didnt work 4 me). Ethernet cards needed also
reconfiguration, I had 2.

Good Luck!
Rodolfo Alcazar - rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo
Netzmanager Padep, GTZ
591-70656800, -22417628, LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
http://otbits.blogspot.com
--
A system software crash will cause hardware to act strangely and the
programmers will blame the customer engineer.