Good Bye FC5

Rickey Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri May 19 03:24:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 09:39 -0400, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 10:34 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> >

> > I used to be of the opinion that GNOME was "the one" -- both
> > technically superior to KDE (it is) and philosophically superior (now
> > I'm doubtful).  GNOME is rapidly losing my respect as it's become less
> > and less easy to use (ironically) because I can't make it do anything
> > other than what's in The Vision(tm) of whomever is making these design
> > decisions.
>
> Right on.  There's alot of this disconnect with Gnome "designers" and
> their constituency, which for some reason they don't seem to ask for
> advice. (???)  I would even go so far as to say that this requires a
> large amount of fascism on the part of the "designers"; since in fact
> this is not about user choice, it's about "designer" choice.  That
> smacks of a dictatorship, not a democracy; there's more of ulcer than
> understanding about it.

<chuckles> In a study of basic criminality, the lack of Empathy is a
major precursor to abusive behavior, of any form. Put that one in your
pipe and smoke it. Aggression is a one sided relationship where my goals
are of 100% importance and my relationship value of you is 0%.
 Just to set the record straight;
Withdrawn 	is 0% personal goals, 0% relationship
Passive 	is 0% personal goals, 100% relationship
Assertive 	is 100% personal goals, 100% relationship
Compromise 	is 50% personal goals, 50% relationship
... so it's considered healthy to try to be properly assertive, but
everyone has a unique perspective, so you compromise settling for less,
yet getting World Peace. It's not hard once you become Borg with your
computer to objectify yourself and everyone around you... it shows up
even in user interfaces, as you both have noticed. Not friendly;
Do-it-my-way-I-am-coder-you-are-Borg. Been there, done that, have the
T-Shirt. It cost me. Not good. Not going back there again.

> >Linus is probably right, I should switch to KDE.
> I kind of tend to trust Linus Torvalds too. ;)  And he's definitely
> right.

 Linus is a classic study in proper assertiveness. He's a uber-geek
(personal goals) -and- he values people (values relationships).

> If there was ever a man that believed in freedom of choice, it's LBT.
> Both in proprietary and free software arenas.  Free software without
> freedom of choice is still no freedom.  You should never let "free
> software" ideology take away your freedom of choice.  Linus understands
> that

Of course, people matter more to him than code. It shows and his is not
a bad example to follow. Bob Young and Mathew Szulik are both people
persons. I knew Bob from the Red Hat days and, when I got into a scrape,
he wrote me personally. When Mathew came onboard, he would "mother hen"
the whole team, checking up to see if you had what you needed and how
are you and how is your Mum? (sorry, stole that one from the Gecko!) but
you get the picture. Now Bob runs lulu.com to enable and encourage
people to publish books, art and music on the web. I'm sure Mathew had a
hand in this Fedora thing. So, I stick with it and, even when things
screw up, I beleive their (RH) heart is in the right place.

Humans do mess up and make mistakes 15% of the time. No software or
system will ever be completely bulletproof as long as humans play any
part of a role in development. To me, bad software or systems are those
that do not take the human relationship value (usablility) to a high
percentage value. KDE seems to score the most, in that area, according
to the way I see it. But I've installed Enlightenment, to dink with, as
it seems to be less of a memory hog. That's compromise, as I've lowered
my expectations for less cpu usage. Owell, I'll shut up... in favor of
my relationship value to you all. <chuckles> Ric