(fedora) Re: running shell scripts from external USB disk

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri May 19 15:41:04 UTC 2006

Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen wrote:
> Karsten wrote on 19-MAY-2006 16:20:35.24
>> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 04:00:07PM +0200, Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a FC5 system with an internal disk and a external USB disk withanext3 partition on it. If a shell script (bash,csh etc..) is located on the
>> internal drive it works fine. If I copy it to the USB disk I get problems:
>> (why????)
> [snip]
>> Check the output of 'mount' for that device. I'm pretty sure that it has
>> been mounted with the 'noexec' flag.
>  You are right.
>  How to change this? This USB disk is mounted automatically when pluged in.
> I cannot edit fstab since than the machine fails to boot when the disk is
> not present.
>
>                         Jouk

You can add a local HAL rule to override the default behavior when
mounting USB drives. For security reasons, you may want to make the
rule specific to that USB drive. You will want to replace the noexec
option with the nosuid option so that someone can not plug in a USB
drive with a suid root binary that they can use to hack the system.
(Easy way to crack a system - suid root an editor, and modify
/etc/passwd so you can log in as root.)

If you want to put a rule in /etc/fstab for the drive, and still
have the system boot without the drive plugged in, look at the
noauto option. This will cause the mount to be skipped when the
system mounts file systems at boot.

Mikkel