Best way to play recording in Fedora

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri May 19 16:38:37 UTC 2006

WGregory wrote:
> I want to be able to play an audio sound or recording (preferably a
> voice recording I have created) from a file on my Fedora server to a
> speaker that is connected to the system.  The purpose is to alert the
> night crew when there is a problem.
>
> I am running Fedora 5 on my test system.  I inserted a music CD on the
> Fedora 5 system.  It began playing the CD using Totem 1.3.92.  However,
> I cannot access files on the CD.  Mount shows "automount."   There is
> nothing in the /mnt or /media directories.

Music cd's are not file system related, and you cannot "mount" an audio
cd.  In fact, if you can, its in all probability one of the sony/bmg
things that has the rootkit on it, rigged to auto-install in windows
without asking you. Do NOT ever insert it in a windows machine or it
will be an infected machine thats very difficult to clean.

That said, I'm partial to 'grip' for making audio files from the cd, and
I normally make 'ogg' files at about Q7 quality, which to these old
ears, cannot be told from the original cd when playing, but which take
maybe 10% of the cd's storage space on your hard drive.  Once you have
those, then its a simple matter of writing a script that executes on the
error condition being detected.

--
Cheers, Gene