setting a password less ssh connection

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200605 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Fri May 19 20:30:38 UTC 2006

Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> writes:
> This is not what the OP is trying to do (or, at least, I hope not...).
>
> Leave this alone, having passwordless accounts you can log into over
> ssh is an awful idea as mentioned above:
> #PermitEmptyPasswords no
>
> Add this to prevent authentication against the user's password:
> PasswordAuthentication no

And just to prevent pam from allowing a password login you also want
to add:

   UsePam=no

It is amazing now many linux and bsd systems get broken into and used
as ssh-password attacking zombies.  (From looking at my sshd logs I
see a few probes each day.)  I would be really nice if OS
distributions were to stop encouraging stupid behavior and not leaving
password logins open.

cat << EOF > /etc/ssh/sshd_config
Protocol 2
LogLevel VERBOSE