setting a password less ssh connection

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri May 19 22:45:50 UTC 2006

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> hicham wrote:
>
>> Hello
>> I'm having trouble to set a passwordless ssh connection between many pcs ,
>> I've found lot on the web about exchanging public keys but i still
>> cannot make it password less
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> hicham
>>

> Are you trying to log in as root, or as a user using key pairs? I
> would have to double check, but I don't think the default sshd
> configuration allows root logins. I have "PermitRootLogin no" in my
> config file. It needs to be "PermitRootLogin without-password"
> instead. (without-password prevents root from logging in using a
> password, but will allow it using a key pair.)
>
> PermitRootLogin
>    Specifies whether root can log in using ssh(1).  The argument
>    must be ``yes'', ``without-password'', ``forced-commands-only''
>    or ``no''.  The default is ``yes''.
>
>    If this option is set to ``without-password'' password authenti-
>    cation is disabled for root.
>
>    If this option is set to ``forced-commands-only'' root login with
>    public key authentication will be allowed, but only if the
>    command option has been specified (which may be useful for taking
>    remote backups even if root login is normally not allowed).  All
>    other authentication methods are disabled for root.
>
>    If this option is set to ``no'' root is not allowed to log in.
>
> Mikkel

    I think that is the way to keep it. I log in as a trusted user and
then use su - and give the root password and then I am root on that
distant computer. I can do almost everything you can do on your own
computer. That is how I keep the computer on top of the mountain happy.
And I can sftp new software and reboot the computer. Not bad.

Karl