a halt that actually powers down my machine

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Sun May 21 18:17:02 UTC 2006

Antoine,

Can you give a bit more information about the mainboard that you're
using?  Have you ever had another version or distribution of Linux that
did shut down properly?  Some mainboards use APM for power management as
opposed to the newer standard ACPI but the kernel sometimes has trouble
handling certain configurations.  I'm not sure if this is still relevant
or not, but have you tried passing a kernel argument of "acpi=off".
Some BIOSes have problems and require that the BIOS be updated, or
special flags provided while compiling the kernel (search for
"CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF").

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund
daniel at digitree.org