FC5: syslog not logging?

Joel Gomberg obligor11-fedora at yahoo.com
Sun May 21 21:47:55 UTC 2006

Craig Goodyear wrote:
> It appears that syslog has stopped working since I restarted my FC5
> server yesterday, about 24 hours ago.  There have not been any entries
> made in the following log files since the shut down yesterday: cron,
> maillog, messages, rkhunter.log, or secure.
>
> syslogd and klogd are shown to be running.  When the server is now shut
> down, the shut down of system logger is shown to fail.
>
> Where do I start to find the solution to this problem?  Are there there
> any ideas of suggestions?  I haven't been able to find anything on
> Google or the list archive.

I encountered this situation recently.  In my case, at least, I traced
it down to vmware modifying /etc/services, which then lost its proper
selinux context.  There were entries in my audit.log denying permission
to syslogd.  After issuing a restorecon /etc/services, the problem was
resolved.

--
Joel