Error 15: File not found after FC 5 Install

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon May 22 14:30:41 UTC 2006

Peter Gordon wrote:
> philbrog at ptd.net wrote:
>> I installed the 5-CD set of Fedora Core 5 and within 5 seconds after
>> I press Enter on the GRUB menu, it displays these messages:
>>
>> Booting 'Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)'
>>
>> root (hd0,0)
>>  Filesystem is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/
>>
>> Error 15: File not found
>> [...]
>
> Maybe it's just me, but that looks like a Fedora Core 1 install, not
> Core 5. If this is the case, your question is probably best asked on
> the fedora-legacy list [1].

    Nope. I was stupid enough to try and upgrade a FC2 with FC5 and the
upgrade went real good. It went to completion and then it said reboot
and come back up. I did so and there is NO WAY in HECK this thing will
come up. There is a mixture of FC2 and FC5 in /boot/ and /boot/grub/ and
I spent a few hours trying to get it going and gave up. I had lots of
Error 15: File not found and other non-helpful error messages.

    This mess I plan to put on a portable hard drive and take it over to
Computer Engineering at NMSU and let them use it as a final exam.

Karl