Error 15: File not found after FC 5 Install

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon May 22 15:39:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 08:30 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Peter Gordon wrote:
> > philbrog at ptd.net wrote:
> >> I installed the 5-CD set of Fedora Core 5 and within 5 seconds after
> >> I press Enter on the GRUB menu, it displays these messages:
> >>
> >> Booting 'Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)'
> >>
> >> root (hd0,0)
> >>  Filesystem is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
> >> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/
> >>
> >> Error 15: File not found
> >> [...]
> >
> > Maybe it's just me, but that looks like a Fedora Core 1 install, not
> > Core 5. If this is the case, your question is probably best asked on
> > the fedora-legacy list [1].

>     Nope. I was stupid enough to try and upgrade a FC2 with FC5 and the
> upgrade went real good. It went to completion and then it said reboot
> and come back up. I did so and there is NO WAY in HECK this thing will
> come up. There is a mixture of FC2 and FC5 in /boot/ and /boot/grub/ and
> I spent a few hours trying to get it going and gave up. I had lots of
> Error 15: File not found and other non-helpful error messages.

This is *exactly* why an *upgrade* is not supported.
It is impossible for the developers to know exactly what the
configuration (Version, Kernel, update status, packages installed, etc)
of your machine is at the time the upgrade is installed. Thus a clean
install/upgrade cannot in any way be assured.

To be certain the new install will work first time it should be done as
a clean install, wiping out all prior OS parts to do it.

>     This mess I plan to put on a portable hard drive and take it over to
> Computer Engineering at NMSU and let them use it as a final exam.

That will be an interesting exercise. :))