Securing SSH

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200605 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Tue May 23 18:48:45 UTC 2006

Reg Clemens <reg at dwf.com> writes:
>         I mean, I trust ssh, its just the time waisted reviewing the
>         logs that this solves.

I trust ssh too, but I'm not sure my passwords are *that* good. ;-)

Some of those folks were pounding hard enough that they could have
gone through a good sized dictionary a few times, injecting different
non-alphabetics and "l33t-sp33k" substitutions over the course of a
few days.

I'm now a strong believer in using "PasswordAuthentication no" in
sshd_config and only allowing rsa/dsa authentication.  Forcing the
kiddies to guess a 1k-bit long key is going to put a real crimp in
their time tables.

(An old cheat-sheet I put together a while back for some technical but
non-computer folks: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/sshd-config.html  )

-wolfgang