cups relaying remote broadcasts to a local subnet

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Wed May 24 00:10:28 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 08:22, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I posted a request last week that I am still not able to solve.  I am
> unable to broadcast cups remote printer information to a local subnet
> that is different than the external network card.
>
> In looking at the cups examples I have not seen any example of this
> capability so I am wondering if anyone else has made this work or is
> this a design limit of cups.
>
> Here is the example ip address obviously have been changed
>
> "Remote A" 70.69.68.67     <->     "Remote C" 64.35.30.18
>
> "Remote B" 64.70.99.20     <->     "Remote C" 64,35,30,18
>

> Remote A is a two ethernet card gateway to a local network
> Remote B is a one ethernet card gateway to a local network
> Remote C is a two ethernet card gateway to a local network

Why are there two ethernet cards on A and C but only one on B?
If B is the portal to the internet, how does it connect to the router?
Doesn't it use an ethernet card for that?  If so, how does it connect to
Remote C?  That would also need an ethernet card

How does Remote A connect to the internet, does it route through Remote C to
Remote B or is it not supposed to?

> Remote B has only one card because it is attached to an isp's router
> that has NAT translation to a local subnet of 10.0.0.0
>
> I am able to get broadcasted printer information into the local network
> of Remote  B, but not Remote A or Remote C.  The difference obviously
> being the fact that A and C have an internal and external ethernet
> cards.

And how are those cards setup?  Internal & external subnets to what?

> When I look at the examples on the cups documentation or ESP
> documentation I have not found any examples of a two network card
> machine broadcasting to an internal subnet different than the external
> subnet.  There are examples of broadcasting to an internal subnet that
> has the same subnet as the external card.
>
> I would like to know if any of you have been able to make cups broadcast
> remote printer information to an external ethernet card and then through
> the internal ethernet card using a different subnet for a local network.
> If this is possible I would sure like some help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg Ennis

Please provide more information, thanks.

--
Tom Taylor
Linux user #263467