File Permissions problem : Cry for HELP

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 24 02:35:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 20:28 +0100, Stuart Sears wrote:
> When you upload files to the server, they are *newly* created files
> there, and will get the default permissions on that end as well.

Depends on your FTP client.  I use gFTP, and if I upload files with the
X bit set (for using the XBitHack on Apache), the server copy of the
file will end up with the same permissions as my original, without me
having to do anything extra.

> you could of course wriute a small shell script that runs the chmod
> commands you need and run it on those files after the upload. You
> clearly have shell access on the remote host (otherwise you wouldn't
> be able to manually change permissions after upload).

Not necessarily.  I don't have shell access, and I can change the
permissions.  It just depends on what commands the FTP server will
allow.

I read messages from the public lists.