FC5: Apache issue? Or something else?

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu
Wed May 24 17:43:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Tim wrote:

>> On one of my FC5 machines, I run a webserver (Apache 2.2.2).
>> I can connect to it normally from any web browser on any machine in the
>> world on the Internet...save one. The machine it's on! From that
>> machine, running Firefox or Ephiphany, it says that it cannot connect to
>> the Web server. Turning off the firewall doesn't help. Never had the
>> problem in FC1-4.
>
> Two things spring to mind:  You don't have the server listening to the
> interface you're trying to use on that machine.  You're trying to
> connect to an external address, and your network doesn't loop around
> that way.
>
>>  Any ideas?
>
> Post your Apache configuration details, particularly what it listens to.
> And say how you're trying to connect to it?  (External network address,
> local network IP, localhost address, by named or IP address, etc.)

# Change this to Listen on specific IP addresses as shown below to
# prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses (0.0.0.0)
#
#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
Listen xxx.xxx.xx.xx:80

Where the "x"'s are the IP address of the machine. I double-checked; no
typos.

# You will have to access it by its address anyway, and this will make
# redirections work in a sensible way.
#
#ServerName www.example.com:80
ServerName www.machine.com:80

# UseCanonicalName: Determines how Apache constructs self-referencing
# URLs and the SERVER_NAME and SERVER_PORT variables.
# When set "Off", Apache will use the Hostname and Port supplied
# by the client.  When set "On", Apache will use the value of the
# ServerName directive.
#
UseCanonicalName Off

I am bringing up Firefox 1.5.0.3 on www.machine.com and doing a standard
http://www.machine.com in the browser window. No dice.

I did this with Apache 2.058. I am running 2.22 now.

E-mail: sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu                                  ***