Please Help With Dual Head

Troy Bull troybull.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 25 15:41:13 UTC 2006

Greetings:

I recently upgraded my os (a clean install) to Fedora Core 5, and I was
excited to see the support for Dual Head built into the configuration
utility.  I am having a problem getting it setup correctly.  What I want
is to extend my desktop onto my second monitor.  I went through the
System->Administration->Display utility and can't make it work.  I will
describe what is happening.

I have 2 identical monitors and a Radeon X600 PCIE card.  When I boot to
windows the setup works so it is plugged in correctly.  The monitors are
connected via the digital hookup.

On my left monitor I have a desktop.  Then on my right monitor I have a
ghosted image from the left monitor.  If I try to click on the left
monitor it doesn't work (I can move the mouse onto screen1 by going off
the right edge of screen 0.  I noticed by looking at the workplace
switcher I actually have the wide desktop.  I can move windows on and
off the part which lies underneath the ghosted image of screen1.

So in short, everything is correct except Screen1 shows an image of
Screen0 instead of the desktop which is really there.

I am a bit frustrated as I have been tinkering with xorg.conf and can't
make it work.  This used to work so I feel like it still should, if
anyone could give me some tips or something I would greatly appreciate it.

I will include my xorg.conf just for completeness

xorg.conf

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Multihead layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"
    Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option        "Xinerama" "on"
    Option        "Clone" "off"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, a font server independent of the X server is
# used to render fonts.
    FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "fbdevhw"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "freetype"
    Load  "type1"
    Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option        "Xinerama"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#    Option    "Xleds"        "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#    Option    "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#    Option    "XkbModel"    "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#    Option    "XkbModel"    "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#    Option    "XkbLayout"    "de"
# or:
#    Option    "XkbLayout"    "de"
#    Option    "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#    Option    "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#    Option    "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName    "Dell 1905FP (Digital)"
    DisplaySize  370    300
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    HorizSync    30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
    Option        "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    Identifier   "Monitor1"
    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName    "Dell 1905FP (Digital)"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    HorizSync    30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
    Option        "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "radeon"
    VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName   "ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B62 [Radeon X600 (PCIE)]"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard1"
    Driver      "radeon"
    VendorName  "Videocard Vendor"
    BoardName   "ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B62 [Radeon X600 (PCIE)]"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen      1
EndSection

Section "Screen"