ntpq no longer working -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu May 25 15:57:24 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>
>>> Some devices also have a telnet address.  That gives you a simple
>>> interface to the device, if you find the web interface doesn't get
>>> along with your browser.  If worst comes to worst, there should be
>>> a master reset button on it.
>>>

> Bob Goodwin:
>
>> Yes, but determining the addresses is my problem.  The user
>> information provided with the equipment specifies little.
>>

> Usually, from initialisation they use DHCP to configure the PCs
> connected to them, and they tend to be at 192.168.1.254 (or
> 192.168.0.1).  So it's not too hard to do your own networking and
> customisation.  If you have your PC set to be configured by DHCP, you
> can just read the details it's been configured with, the gateway address
> will be where the DHCP server is, which will be the router.

I can see the Netgear router set up screen from here and if I understand
what it shows the router is addressing 70.41.189.188 at wildblue, while
this
computer addresses the router at 192.168.1.1 [not 192.168.1.255 as
displayed
on etherape]. The SSID belkin54g is an artifact from the various routers I
tried, Linksys, Belkin [two, both with intermittent power input
connectors], and
Netgear [the equipment works reliably and the tech support people spoke a
dialect of English I could understand!].

>   Router Status
>

> *Account Name* 	WGR614v6
> *Firmware Version * 	V1.0.11_1.0.7NA
>
> Internet Port <javascript:loadhelp('RST_status','internet_port')>
> *MAC Address * 	00:14:6C:7D:F7:1D
> *IP Address * 	70.41.189.188
> *DHCP * 	DHCPClient
> *IP Subnet Mask * 	255.255.252.0
> *Domain Name Server
> * 	12.189.32.61
>
> LAN Port <javascript:loadhelp('RST_status','lan_port')>
> *MAC Address * 	00:14:6C:7D:F7:1C
> *IP Address * 	192.168.1.1
> *DHCP * 	ON
> *IP Subnet Mask * 	255.255.255.0
>
> Wireless Port <javascript:loadhelp('RST_status','wireless_port')>
> *Name (SSID)* 	belkin54g
> *Region* 	United States
> *Channel* 	06
> *Mode* 	Auto
> *Wireless AP* 	ON
> *Broadcast Name* 	ON

Now I need to investigate the meaning and function of "netmask."

>> The web interface even had trouble "getting along" with WinXP,

The problem there was not being able to access the Linksys Wireless
Ethernet Bridge set-up display [at 192.168.1.226] from the browser.
It has worked at times but I suspect it may not allow me to access it
while it is "connected" to the router?  It is working as it stands so it's
only a matter of not being able to satisfy my curiosity, it's a function I
should be able to use but can't!

> By the way, does your satellite internet work in the rain?  A few years
> ago a friend of mine had one form of satellite internet, and he'd go off
> the air within seconds of rain starting, and stay off until it passed.

I believe this system runs in Ku band, about 13 Kmc  [gHz] which suffers
noticeably
from atmospheric attenuation in heavy rain showers.  I suspect the
uplink is the
weak  link in the system, it probably runs less than four watts of RF,
and the
internet seems to drop out before the television signal, also in the
same band.  But
the drop outs don't last long typically.  I haven't noticed any effect
from light rain
or cloudy weather, only severe thunderstorms.  There is also the twice a
year problem
with solar noise when the sun is directly behind the satellite for
twenty minutes or so.

All things considered the system works well and is comparable to the
Road Runner Cable
system I had in Florida, we are getting even higher speeds than some
others I know who
are on cable.  We ordered the best service wildblue offered since it
enabled us to cancel
two landlines plus two dial-up accounts, reducing our recurring cost.
We are allowed something
like 17 gigs over 30 days down plus more than we need up.  My daughter
does a lot of photo
work and needs to send large image files to the printer.

We are in a rural area, our neighbor grows wheat, cotton, and soy beans,
and the cable company
wanted $6000 to provide service, the Telco  simply says not available!

BobG