DVD playing on Linux

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu May 25 19:41:19 UTC 2006

    I have burned hours of time trying to get FC4 to play a simple
commercial DVD in my DVD player on this computer. I can put the DVD in
my laptop with Windows XP and it automatically comes up with the movie
starting.

    I realize the movie industry has been very bad about things and the
work towards getting a DVD reader for Linux is being done in Europe away
from the goons in Hollywood.

    Totem comes up saying I don't have "libdvdcss" so it can't work.
Xine says it can't even get to the DVD because /dev/dvd/ is root only.

    Yes I tried to yum the lib and it can't find it. I have done
everything the good web page

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html

has done I have done. Still it all does not work. I have loaded Totem,
Xine and Mplayer and all three do not work.

Karl