Mplayer works but...

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 26 00:52:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 08:15 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Yesterday I got Mplayer on FC4 working just fine. The yum took some
> time but it comes right up. I got a small DVD from a guy running for
> office. It's on a regular cd. I was able to view that with Mplayer.
>
>     So I decided to try a commercial DVD I bought and it does not
> play. I know I got the 0th part loaded and it tries to play but I
> never get a picture.

I've never had a great deal of luck with using mplayer to play DVDs.
For one thing, if it ever shows the DVD menu, it only flashes up for a
brief moment.  You've got to faff around with picking the right
title/chapter to play from the mplayer menu.

I've found Xine to be better, and VLC almost as good (VLC seems more
taxing on my system).  But both of them play DVDs properly.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.