IBM x306M with SAS/SATA RAID - Installation HDD Error - Fedora Core 5

Stuart Elvish - Dallas Delta Corporation Pty Ltd stuart.elvish at dallasdelta.net
Fri May 26 02:34:27 UTC 2006

Dear Sirs and Madams,

I am having a very difficult time getting Fedora Core 5 to install on my
new servers.

I have setup the RAID hardware properly (at least I am sure I have, but
I am new to this entire RAID thing so open to suggestions) and the hard
disks are completely blank (no partitions).

When the system starts it loads the ata_piix driver (which is more than
the previous version of Fedora I was using did), I skip the CD-ROM
check, and then an error message displays saying "No hard drives have
been found. You probably need to manually choose device drivers for the
installation to succeed. Would you like to select drivers now?". I have
drivers for RHEL/RHES 4 but not for Fedora.

I continue the installation by saying no and step through a few more
steps (keyboard, language etc), then the system prompts me again saying
that "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on which to
create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the cause of
this problem.".

I am wondering what suggestions you have for getting around this problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am about to tear my hair out.

Kind Regards
Stuart Elvish