ntpq no longer working -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri May 26 13:46:09 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
>  On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 11:57 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
> > DHCP    ON
>
>  This probably means that your router also acts as a DHCP server for
>  your LAN (depends on what *yours* means by "on"), and will dole out
>  IPs to your LAN PCs.
>
> > IP Subnet Mask    255.255.255.0
Yes, apparently so and yesterday my HP printer quit after I had done an
update [excluding cups] and caused a bit of a panic.  As it turned out
the printer was now residing at 192.168.1.2 instead of 192.168.1.3 where
cups expected to find it?  After working for several weeks it changed?
I set the HP set-up via the Firefox screen to fix it at 192.168.1.3
again.  My concern now is that 192.168.1.2 has always been my daughter
Ginette's MAC downstairs.  I haven't checked to see what address it has
now but fear that I may have created a mixed system which can result in
a conflict?  Or will the router's dhcp note the printer assignment and
avoid reusing it?  I may simply wait and see what happens unless someone
knows that I've created a problem.

While on the subject of the hp6840 printer I have discovered that the
only way to get the proper driver for it is to install it from KDE.  It
offers that model number in its list of drivers and whatever driver it
actually installs works, installing from Cups/Admin [a generic HP
Deskjet] prints stuff from the browser that goes off the bottom and
right side of the page?  It seems strange that KDE has a more complete
set of drivers.  I discovered that by chance since I have never used
KDE, prefer XFCE and rarely use anything else.

Many thanks for your assistance, I will learn this eventually.

Bob Goodwin