Lock Screen as root

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Sat May 27 08:40:56 UTC 2006

> On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 21:30 -0400, Erik Hemdal wrote:
> > But if this is so dangerous, why not prevent graphical root logins
> > altogether?
>
> Some distros do that.  And it is possible to set up Fedora that way as
> well - it stops a graphical "login", but it doesn't stop a textual login
> from starting X after the login.
>
> One reason why distros don't do that is the number of users insisting
> that they should be able to.

Interesting.  But that choice seems to provide even less functionality
and reduced security; meanwhile the original question is unanswered
about why root can't lock the screen.  I can't find a rationale
anywhere, except that its a bug.  It's a bit unfortunate in my case.

I do appreciate all the replies.  I didn't find the answer I was looking
for, but I did learn a few things I didn't know before.

Erik