High Speed Internet & FC5

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 29 02:54:20 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 04:26 +0200, LeBreton wrote:
> I am French and I just arrived in California. I am using a FC5 distrib
> on my computer and I would like to get a High Speed Internet
> connection like this proposed by AT&T with an External ADSL Ethernet
> Modem.

Which will normally "just work" for any sort of computer that you can
manage to connect to it.

> But At&T claims that other distrib than Windows or Mac are not
> supported for their DSL connection. :-(

That means that they will not provide help for anything other than
Windows/Mac.  Genereally, ISP "help" isn't really technical help, they
just run through a checklist of common problems and solutions.

> Could I get some advices for the best solution for high speed internet
> with FC5?

Ask them what modem/routers they support, and those they know to be a
problem.  Buy one, avoid the others, ask them to help you set up the
modem/router.  Get an ethernet one, not a USB one (doesn't matter if it
has both, you'll use the ethernet connection).

Setting up your PCs to work with the router is your own affair, and
doesn't really require you to do anything to them that is specific to
the ISP.  If you can network two PCs together, you can manage to network
a PC to a modem.

I read messages from the public lists.