I think it's now got to the stage of: Which mirrors actually do work?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Tue May 30 00:14:49 UTC 2006

At 8:12 AM +1000 5/30/06, David Timms wrote:
>Leon wrote:
>> Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> writes:
>>
>>> I think it's now got to the stage of:  Which mirrors actually do work?
>>> This is what I see nearly EVERY time I try to do a YUM update over the
>>> last few weeks:
>>
>> I have similar problem. Another annoyance is that it didn't pick up
>> the fastest connect.
>I had real problems with yum {similar to what Tim saw} when I had
>fastest mirror enabled. Try turning it off. In fact I got the drift that
>fastest mirror intends to cycle through every mirror, downloading that
>1.~ MB file, and timing each one. In that amount of time/downloads, I
>could have completed the whole update with a fifth of the downloads.

No, that's not what fastestmirror does.  It's what the default
"failovermethod=roundrobin" does.  Fastestmirror just tries to open a
connection to all the mirrors at once, and times them.  It doesn't even
download anything from them.

See my other post on this issue in "Re: pppd missing?" for what is
happening with yum.