How does the PCMCIA subsystem work on FC5? Who is responsible for loading modules on demand?

Vini Engel vini at fugspbr.org
Tue May 30 02:41:58 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could point me to the documentation here or
give me some more information on this. I would like to understand how
the PCMCIA subsystem works on FC5, what triggers the start-up scripts
when a card is inserted/removed and how the module is loaded.
Particularly how it decides which modules to load for that card and how
I would tell it to load an alternative module instead. My understanding
is that udev is responsible for that but I am not sure how it work.

Similarly, I would like to understand how the modules for the several
peripherals and other modules are loaded. Who decides what should be
loaded? What if I don't want to load a particular module e.g. IPv6.

If anybody could give me docs/info on how the OS loads/unloads modules
on demand that will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Vini