Kernel update with yum

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Tue May 30 07:01:41 UTC 2006

On Monday 29 May 2006 06:43, David McCormick wrote:
> Rainer Traut wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > David McCormick schrieb:
> >> I recently did a clean install of FC-4 64 bit on a new disk and
> >> updated using yum update with livna. Now when I reboot Grub starts
> >> the 2111 kernel by default which is waht I want but fails with the
> >> following
> >>
> >> root (hd2,0)
> >>
> >> filesystem is ext2fs, partition type 0x87
> >>
> >> kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.6.16-1.2111_FC4 ro root=lable=/123 rhgb quiet
> >
> > lable? should that be LABEL?
> > Have you edited grub.conf by hand?
> >
> > HTH
> > Rsiner
>
> It is label just my fingers getting out of sync.  I checked gurb.conf
> and it has the proper files for 2111, the same number and type as 3069
> has.
>
> Dave

Hi Dave:
You missed the point of Rainers reply.  It is supposed to be CAPITOL letters
for label (LABEL).

You should spellcheck and proofread your posts.  What is a gurb.conf file?
That should be grub.conf.  I'm not trying to put you down, but a spelling
mistake in a file can cause unexpected results and it's best to check all
your work.

3069?  What kernel is that from?  Was that a 2.4 kernel?

I would recommend not updating with anything but the stock Fedora repos until
the system is working properly, then add things like livna or dags.  This way
you will at least know what the problem is related to.

You might also want to check the archives relevant to the 64 bit 2111 kernel.
I seem to recall seeing some problems about that.

--
Tom Taylor
Linux user #263467