Kernel update with yum

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed May 31 01:13:14 UTC 2006

David McCormick wrote:
> I did find the problem and correct it, I had
> added an IDE drive to a SCSI system and as soon as I removed it
> everything worked as it has in the past 13 years that I have been using
> Linux.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Dave

I am more used to seeing this problem with LILO then Grub. Depending
on your BIOS and SCSI controller, the drive mapping can change when
you add an IDE drive to a SCSI system. LILO used to always assume
that BIOS device 80 was the IDE drive. (It is supposed to determine
that at boot time now.) So if you booted from the SCSI drive, you
had to tell LILO that the SCSI drive was BIOS 80. I have not used
Grub on a SCSI/IDE mix, but I am sure there is a way to tell it to
double check the drive mapping when you add an IDE drive.

Mikkel