Printer Share in FC5

Dario Lesca d.lesca at solinos.it
Wed May 31 14:23:30 UTC 2006

Il giorno mer, 31/05/2006 alle 14.05 +0200, Antonio Montagnani ha
scritto:
> I have a new FC5 system with two printer (parallel Epson C70 and USB
> Samsung Ml-1610) that work great.
> Now I want to share both of them with another FC5 laptop.

a) I not use "printer configuartion tool".
b) I use 'vim' + 'elinks(or firefox) http://localhost:631'
   (and occasionally 'lpadmin') Why? Because I use cups print system,
   then I use the configuration tools developed by cups team.

On server and client fc5 host:

o Update cups to last (1.2) version
o If exist: mv /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.rpmnew /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
o Restart cups.
o Setup the correct host.domain name resolver (via /etc/hosts
  or /etc/resolv.conf+some DNS server)

On the server machine:

o Modify the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file, this is my diff
>         [root at mail ~]# diff  /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>         17c17,18
>         < Listen localhost:631
>         ---
>         > #Listen localhost:631
>         > Listen *:631
>         23a25
>         > BrowseAddress @LOCAL
>         31a34
>         >   Allow  @LOCAL
>         38a42
>         >   Allow  @LOCAL
>         46a51
>         >   Allow  @LOCAL
o Restart cupsd
o Point your browser to http://localhost:631 (or http://servercups:631
from the client machine)
o GoTo "Administration" link.
o Adjust the server setting.
o Add and configure your printers.

On the cliente host:

o List the new printer, just shared with a 'lpstat -t'.
o Print.

Hope this help, and sorry for my bad English!

--
Dario Lesca <d.lesca at solinos.it>