different ssh settings for different users

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 31 17:43:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 22:09 +0530, Ankush Grover wrote:
> On 5/31/06, Steven W. Orr <steveo at syslang.net> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, May 31st 2006 at 11:54 +0530, quoth Ankush Grover:
> >
> > =>I am using openssh-3.9 on FC3.Is it possible to have different ssh
> > =>settings for each user means if there is a user john and he can only
> > =>connect through the port 3309 and if  there is a user mary she can
> > =>only connect through the port 4067 ?
> > =>
> > =>Rest of the users should be able to connect through the default port
> > =>that is 5009.
> >
> > You may use multiple lines in your sshd config file
> >
> > ListenAddress 3309
> > ListenAddress 4067
> > ListenAddress 5009
>
> It is a good choice when you want similar settings for all the users.
> What I want is separate user settings per port ?

The problem is that it doesn't know the user until it has
already answered on a port...   You should be able to run
multiple instances of sshd, each listening on different
ports and using a different configuration file, though.

> > Why in the Wide World of Sports would you want to do such a thing?
> >

> Thanks for the reply. We have some partners and clients which logins
> through ssh means sftp. Those accounts are chrooted and through sftp
> we give them updates for our softwares means patches.

If they only download, why not use https instead?  That would be
easier for both of you.

> As the FC3 is accessible through Internet we want to keep our clients
> & partners separate even having different ssh settings for them.

FC3 is getting kind of old...

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com