Trouble starting postgresql

Alan M. Evans ame1 at extratech.com
Wed May 31 19:12:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 10:19, Paul Howarth wrote:
> It appears that there is no easy fix for this problem, other than moving
> the data somewhere other than under /home:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-selinux-list/2006-May/msg00253.html

That's a pity. As I said before, /home is convenient for me since that
partition is large and won't ever be formatted during future upgrades or
installs. /home/pgsql seemed obvious to me since both the database and
the home directories share these requirements.

In any case, in your reply to the message linked above, you say:

> If it was me I'd just bind mount /home/pgsql on /var/lib/pgsql
> and there wouldn't be an issue...

And so I wonder: How does bind-mounting help me as regards default
contexts?

If I place data in /home/pgsql and bind-mount /var/lib/pgsql, then what
is the default context for pgsql? It depends on where restorecon was
run. If "restorecon -R /home" then pgsql will be set to the wrong
context; if "restorecon -R /var/lib" then it will be correct. And if,
for some reason, the entire filesystem gets relabelled, how do I know
which one it will get? I don't see what bind-mounting gains me anything
over my current predicament.

Finally, it's working for me now, thanks to you. I will leave it all as
is and lurk the selinux list and quietly learn. Perhaps a better
solution to the default context issue will be discovered or implemented.
And if I'm wrong about the bind-mounting thing then do explain, please!