FC5 - Intel 82801G - High Definition Audio

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon May 1 09:55:57 UTC 2006

Marcel Groner wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I've got a Samsung Q35 - Centrino Duo. Check out my page

> does anyone know how to fix that issue?

Yes I posted this advice last week --->

-Andy

Hi Mike -

I have one of these beasties now, here are some additional notes.  I
appreciated your original documentation and advise so maybe some of this
can help yourself or someone else.

Suspend works most of the time, it requires Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then
Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get video back.  Hibernate proceeds correctly, but on
reboot the hibernation data is ignored and it boots as if from cold.

By default the audio does not work well.  There is a high frequency tone
while the audio is active and changing mixer settings while audio active
destroys audio until next boot.  I updated to the latest Alsa drivers,
and added the following to /etc/modprobe.conf

options snd-hda-intel index=0 single_cmd=1 model=laptop-eapd

On reboot sound is great.  There does not seem to be an internal mic but
the external mic jack also works after this.  I don't know if the alsa
upgrade was necessary because I found this solution after it.

WPA/WPA2 can be made to work using wpa_supplicant.  I got it working
first by hand, then discovered the wpa_supplicant already existed in FC5
as a service with integration into ifup and ifdown, so chkconfig
wpa_supplicant on will help.  TKIP support has a problem, I found
setting my wireless router to WPA2 AES avoided the problem.  Wireless is
then very solid.

When setting your WPA key, note you have to encode the key first using
wpa_passphrase before sticking it in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

wpa-supplicant needs to be told the ipw3945 device is to be communicated
with using -D wext protocol.

I can't get NetworkManager to recognize that wlan0 exists as an
interface, despite that system-config-networking knows about it.

I killed tap to click on the synaptics touchpad by adding

    Option "SHMConfig" "yes"
    Option "MaxTapTime" "0"

to the Input Device / Synaptics part of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I was only able to get vesa xorg support to work so far, but you can
select 1280x800 layout after setting a generic LCD monitor of 1280x800
resolution.  This is the main deficit left now, no xv.

In general it was pretty encouraging.  The chipset in the laptop is very
new but everything works to a greater or lesser extent, most of it to
the greater extent.  In a way that makes a new rod for Fedora's back
because it is so close to perfect that the remaining annoyances are
correspondingly more annoying...

-Andy