Wired Ethernet Connection at Hotel - DNS

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon May 1 15:19:36 UTC 2006

RICHARD wrote:
> Re my previous message, it appears the need for frequent re-activation of
> the connection is due to just losing the DNS information. I can stay
> connected while using ssh or telnet. But anything requiring names instead
> of ip's stops after a few minutes.
>
> Rick B.

Do the entries in /etc/resolv.conf change, or do the name servers
stop responding? It could be part of the validation process by the
hotel's Internet setup. If you don't visit a specific web page and
agree to the terms, then ether the dhcp server sends a new set of
name servers when the lease renews, or firewalls your IP from the
name servers. Dropping the connection, and restarting it resets the
timer. But I am just speculating here...

Mikkel