Re: Beagle, what can I do with it?

taharka wrote:
Howdy,

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 10:26 -0400, Bob Rowlands wrote:
On 5/1/06, Leon <sdl web gmail com> wrote:
Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin wildblue net> writes:

I see that "beagle" is part of FC5 and has generated
a lot of files but I can't find any way to make it do anything?
Entering "beagle" goes no where, "bash: beagle: command not found"

I don't find a "man page" for it.  Perhaps I could simply remove it via yum?
Or is there some trick to getting it to do something?  Google has not
helped.

Any help appreciated.

Bob Goodwin,   Zuni, Virginia   w2bod
Bob,

You need to start *beagled* before you can do anything with
beagle. There is no beagle command actually. After you start
`beagled', type `beagle-search' to use it. If you don't start beagled,
you will get `Search service not running' error.

--
Leon
Where does documentation for Beagle exit? Why would it be useful? If I

The following is a SUSE linux 10.0 description of beagle. Hope it
helps ;-)

taharka Khufu:~> rpm -qi beagle
Name        : beagle                       Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version     : 0.0.13.3                          Vendor: SUSE LINUX
Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany
Release     : 9.6                           Build Date: Mon 24 Apr 2006
12:49:42 AM EDT
Install date: Tue 25 Apr 2006 08:52:33 AM EDT      Build Host:
nelson.suse.de
Group       : Productivity/Other            Source RPM:
beagle-0.0.13.3-9.6.src.rpm
Size        : 1632097                          License: X11/MIT, Apache
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 24 Apr 2006 10:30:05 AM EDT, Key ID
a84edae89c800acaPackager    : http://www.suse.de/feedback
URL         : http://www.gnome.org/projects/beagle/
Summary     : Desktop search application
Description :
Beagle is a search tool that ransacks your personal information
   space to find whatever you're looking for. Beagle can search in
   many different domains: * documents

* emails

* web history

* IM/IRC conversations

* source code

* images

* music files

* applications

* ...and much more

Authors:
--------
    Jon Trowbridge       <trow novell com>
    Nat Friedman         <nat novell com>
    Todd Berman          <tberman off net>
    Michael Levy         <mlevy wardium homeip net>
    Joe Gasiorek         <joe gasiorek gmail com>
    Arwed V. Merkatz     <v merkatz gmx net>
    Christopher Orr      <chris protactin co uk>
    Dave Camp            <dave novell com>
    Veerapuram Varadhan  <vvaradhan novell com>
    Michael Bayne        <mdb samskivert com>
    Fredrik Hedberg      <fredrik hedberg hedbergs com>
    Robert Love          <rml novell com>
    Joe Shaw             <joeshaw novell com>
    Chris Lahey          <clahey ximian com>
    Tuomas Kuosmanen     <tigert tigert priv>
    Alex Graveley        <alex beatniksoftware com>
    Adam Lofts           <adam negligible co uk>
    Lukas Lipka          <lukas pmad net>
    Rafael Slinckx       <raf raf wol be>
    James Vipond         <james vipond ntlworld com>
    Carl-Emil Lagerstedt <carl-emil lagerstedt net>

Bob Rowlands <rowlands bob gmail com>

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

Ok, "beagle-search" was the command I needed!  I spent the last fifteen
minutes messing with that and now I know that it's another learning effort. I will keep it and see what use I can make of it.

Thanks to all ...

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia   w2bod