fstab missing line

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon May 1 16:22:20 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 09:17 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:

snip

> >> Yes I added:
> >>
> >> /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto defaults 0 0
> >>
> >> and made a directory:
> >>
> >> /media/cdrecorder
> >>
> >> However this may not be the correct way to deal with the problem, it was
> >> just my solution.
> >>
> > This is the whole point . You should not have to do that in FC5.
> > What function of CD access do you not see without that line in fstab?
> >
> I don't recall the precise sequence of events but no doubt I attempted
> to "mount /dev/hdc" and the cd to "/media/cdrecorder" as I am accustomed
> to doing since FC4 and trying to look at a directory listing ...
>
> I had other odd things happen with this FC5 installation and thought it
> was merely related to those peculiarities?  In fact I did the
> installation twice since it did not offer me a chance to select the
> applications I wanted?  I had installed FC5 from the same DVD on another
> computer via my LAN connection while this one ran FC4 and that went as
> expected, a normal install without problems.

So did you do a clean install here?  or was it an upgrade?

There are some inconsistencies that are seen when doing an upgrade
because not everything gets put in place new.  Old configuration files,
some of the binaries that do not get removed, etc.

On my FC5 system done as a clean install the creation of the directories
and mounting of the cdrom gets done as expected.