troubles whit lan drivers using Fedora Core 4

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue May 2 11:25:28 UTC 2006

Rolando wrote:
> Hi
>
> 1)> Does the standard via-rhine module not support this adapter?
> I dont think so! I try to select via-rhine PCI option in th net config
> (the only present in the list) but the result was the same: absolutly
> nothing to do!
>
> 2 > It's possible that the driver doesn't support recent kernels. Does the
>> documentation with it say which kernels it's supposed to support?
>
> Here is a little abstract by ASUS doc
> ================
> **  VIA Rhine Family Fast Ethernet Adapter
> **  Linux Driver
> **  v4.38  Nov. 2004
> Introduction:
> The instructions listed below are for linux driver installation. You
> must compile the source code to generate rhinefet.o(rhinefet.ko in 2.6.x
> kernel, please remember to replace rhinefet.o with rhinefet.ko in the
> following sentences if you are using 2.6.x kernel) and use insmod
> command to insert rhinefet.o as module.
> Kernel Supported:
> This driver supports linux kernel version 2.2.x, 2.4.x and 2.6.x now.
> CPU Supported:
> This driver supports x86 and AMD64 based linux system.
> ================

OK, so there's a chance that it may work then.

> I used "uname -r" to get my kernel version and this is the message:
> 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp kernel: so I think my kernel seems to be supported.
> My pc. has a ASUS motherboard P5V800-MX and Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz CPU.
>

> 3) >Do you have the kernel-devel package for your running kernel installed?
> I think so, I hope so! I installed FC4 as workstation, so I suppose the
> kernel-devel package is installed...Sorry but I'm a beginner for Linux
> OS....

You need the kernel-smp-devel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 package. You can check
if you have it as follows:

$ rpm -q kernel-smp-devel

If not, you should be able to find it on your install media.

> 4) > What instructions have you followed (what have you done?)?
> I tried following these (ASUS) instructions:
> 1) Create a temporary directory: mkdir /temp
> DONE
>
> 2) Change to the temporary directory: cd /temp
> DONE
>
> 3) Copy driver (rhinefet.tgz) from DOS disk, (mcopy below is one tool in
> mtools, if you didn't install mtools, you can type 'mount -t msdos
> /dev/fd0 /mnt' and use 'cp /mnt/rhinefet.tgz /temp' command to copy the
> driver to the temporary directory):  mcopy a:rhinefet.tgz .
> DONE
>
> 4) untar the archive file: tar xzvf rhinefet.tgz
>        cd rhinefet
> DONE
>
> 5) Compile the driver source files and it will generate rhinefet.o, and
> copy it to correct driver installation path (The installation directory
> is different in different kernel versions. In 2.4.x/2.6.x kernel, the
> path is /lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION/kernel/drivers/net/, and in 2.2.x
> kernel, the path is /lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION/net/, the KERNEL_VERSION
> (see above) means the kernel version of your Linux distribution. If you
> don't know your kernel version , please run 'uname -r' command in
> command line. The kernel version will look like '2.2.16', '2.4.2-2smp'
> etc.) :  make install
>
> Impossible to do the suggested action! The compile fail! and good night
> to the players! and my net does't work yet!

Check out the presence of the kernel-smp-devel package as above. If the
compile fails after installing that, post the error messages you get.

Paul.