[Fwd: Re: Open Letter: How the FOSS Community May Help Disabled Users]

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 2 11:55:17 UTC 2006

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>,
akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: Open Letter: How the FOSS Community May Help Disabled Users
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 14:07:20 +0930

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 14:40 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I don't understand why this issue causes such controversy. The request
> basically is LUGs and other groups be willing to help people with
> disabilities use the functionality of Linux.

Nobody said they weren't, other than those touting this agenda.  And
it's the idea that groups *should* go out of their way to promote FOSS
to those not interested in doing so is the controversy.

It's the same situation as telling LUGs that they should go around
promoting FOSS to disabled people as if you were telling them that they
should go around badgering Windows users out of using Windows.  Trying
to force something down anybody's throat isn't appreciated.

No one is suggesting anyone force someone else to accept help. Just to offer the help if it is wanted.

> What is wrong with that if we really feel that FOSS has unique value?

Nothing.

If you want to promote it, go ahead and do so.  But don't go around
insisting that others should as well.  They can do that if they want to.

Again no one is insisting anyone should do anything, But I was not aware that htis need for outreach existed.
Where you? So where is the problem in informing people of this need. My e-mail client has a delete button
if I don't want to listen to someones opinions. I don't consider this request as spam.

Now you have been helpfull to people on the list so oyu are probably an ok guy. Why this request for help
for disabled users has sent you into a rant I don't know. But one thing I must ask if you are going to send
copies of your opinion to me personally you have to stop using a mailing address that can't be replied to.

--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>