FC3 => FC5 upgrade... possible?

Theodore Papadopoulo Theodore.Papadopoulo at sophia.inria.fr
Tue May 2 15:42:27 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 09:18 -0400, John Swartzentruber wrote:
> On 5/1/2006 6:02 PM Philip Prindeville wrote:
> > I have a system that was installed as FC3, and has been extensively
> > reconfigured (added outside repos, etc) and did some source-level
> > builds and installs.
> >
> > I'm hoping to find a path to upgrade to FC5, rather than having to
> > note all my config changes, save all my data, install, reconfigure,
> > and then restore my data.
> >
> > Can this be done?
>
> I can't answer your question, but I'm planning to try the same thing
> later this month. I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) would really
> like to hear a report about how things go for you if you try it.

I did that just from the CDs. It worked fine apart for a small problem
at login screen where an image is not found (if I remember correctly as
the machine is not here with me). I did not try to solve it, but I think
it should be quite easy. The machine was full with plenty of various
extra rpms (from extras, livna and a few local ones that are needed to
adapt Fedora to our local environment) and was basically managed with
yum.

Then, some colleagues of mine here had troubles (but I think that was
more because of a synaptic/yum conflict). So the best advice I can give
is, make a backup first: I know, this is obvious, but just in case :-)

	Theo.