FC5 hotplug documentation?

Karl F. Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue May 2 20:06:08 UTC 2006

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>
>> Is there any documentation for FC5's hotplug?  I need to know the
>> format/location  of the action scripts that get run when a new
>> device gets plugged in.
>>
>> I have a usb GPS device (it looks like a serial port) that I'd like to
>> have recognized and have the device permissions automatically set to
>> allow the user access.  Doing an su to root and "chmod 666
>> /dev/ttyXXX" every time I plug it in is getting old.
>>

> You should look at the udev and HAL documentation. Hotplug is not
> really used any more. Chances are, you can do this with a udev rule,
> and have it create a /dev/gps symlink at the same time.
>
> Mikkel

    Hello Mikkel, I was trying to get a ham radio appliance to work in
FC5 and my playing around got me to UDEV and I read all the man and info
pages on udev and decided if it takes an understanding of this to use
FC5 I will go back to FC2. And that is exactly what I did.

    By the way, you say hotplug is no longer used and it is a part of
EVERY thought given to UDEV and all that mysterious stuff at
/etc/security/*. This stuff really made me wonder what Linux is coming
to.  I was fat dumb and happy with Red Hat 9. I should have stayed there
:-)

Karl