fedora-ds install ---> System message bus trashed

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Tue May 2 21:47:52 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I wanted to tryout the fedora ds (directory server) of Redhat and went
to the redhat site for explanations.
So I downloaded the FC5 version and installed it. After that I used
setup from the /opt/fedora-ds/setup directory to configure fds.
Now two things happened:

1. I configured LDAP for authorization, my normal user (not root) got
locked out.
2. So I reconfigured so that LDAP was only used for info and when
logging on as a normal user I got the message from GNOME that the system
bus was not running and needed to be started.
3. So I restarted.
4. Now I can not boot into FC5, because the startup hangs when "starting
System Message Bus".

Does anyone know what I did wrong? Or what I can do to rectify the
misstake I made?
Or maybe how to diagnose what is wrong?
Also how do you change the settings for the system message bus?

Finally, I wonder why this package is no part of Fedora Extras?

Guus.
A.J. Bonnema
--
Writing from XP, because my FC5 is down
So my signature is also hidden from view.